6/17/08

Zulu Surfrider - the beginning of a special story

Howzit, my name is Brenen Nortje. I am surfer from the awesome city of Durban in the majestic province of KwaZulu-Natal. Besides a surfer, I am a copywriter and love stories of hope, triumph and above all the powerful capabilities of the spirit of surfing.


As a youngster I surfed Happy Wanderers on the South Coast with the same two guys (Simon & Gary) for years and years. On exploring a little further South on the KwaZulu-Natal coast we discovered places like Mfazi's, Umzumbe and Banana beach. These are amazing, pristine and true South Coast breaks ... magically wild and regularly rewarding.

It was here, for the first time that the three of us surfed with young black surfers, who lived in the surrounding hills and immediate communities. Previously I had never seen black kids or adults venture past the shore break, let alone surfing in some of the most demanding conditions in SA! They were always so friendly and welcoming, and I initiated a number of conversations with them, in order to learn more and more of the rich cultural fabric that made up their story. There were so many adversities; culturally, financially and physically that they had to overcome, I found their story truelly remarkable. After further investigation I finally met a pioneering black surfer from Umzumbe Sandile 'Cyril' Mqadi. After having a long chat with Sandile on the Addington beachfront, I decided that this is a story that cannot remain silent for any longer and embarked on a mission to create a surf film about the Zulu Surfriders of the South Coast!

I wanted to use very special people to help capture and document this amazingly unique slice of South African culture. Firstly I needed highly skilled artists, fluent in the art of storytelling, with a passion for the community and who understood the true nature and spirit of surfing and what it is capable of achieving. Enter Carlos and Andre, two soulful spirits that I had worked with on previous projects, and who were both surfers themselves. We sat around my laptop and I explained my vision for Zulu Surfrider. Both loved the concept, storyboard, visual and audio reference! We were all super-pumped to craft a film that documented the very exciting birth of the future of South African surfing.

Armed with hired equipment, 2 bakkies, a quiver of old boards and Cyril Mqadi; Andre, Carlos and I set course for the enchanting town of Umzumbe to make the magic that is now Zulu Surfrider!

6 comments:

User said...

Awesome! Well done guys.

Janine T said...

Hey... Thanks for the screening of Zulu Surfriders last night at Encounters, I loved your film. My family lives in Umzumbe and I adore it there - was great to see its warmth on the big screen in chilly Cape Town. For years I have been hoping that someone will document the magic that is happening in Umzumbe, thank you and well done for doing it. Your idea of showing it in the Umzumbe Town Hall is a good one, I hope it happens soon. Thanks, Janine T

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys

great film,watched it last night with Gareth Hull one of the guys that played a couple songs in your documentary,at the Encounters film festival.

Really great stuff good vision behind the whole documentary!

Big ups you guys did really well!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys..I live in Australia, but have spent a bit of time surfing in Umzumbe, is there any way I could get to see the whole film? it looks great..

Carlos Francisco said...

Hey bro.
We've actually tried ABC, a channel out there in Australia but they reckon it has too much subtitling!?
We're trying to get it on TV here locally, when that's achieved then we'll get it on DVD for guys like you.
Thanks for your interest. Keep surfing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate, that'd be awesome. maybe try SBS if you want to get it on TV here, they show heaps of overseas stuff.